Tuesday 10 September 2019

The Body


If you're behind, you can read part 1 and part 2 via the links

I've already slipped into a routine of sorts and this is only my second of six visits into Sheffield for StressControl.  There were fewer of us this week (15 down from 20).  Not sure if the rain had put a few people off, or a few had decided after week 1 that it wasn't for them.  One person left after about 10 minutes so I guess we're a smaller group now.  Part of me is desperate to know how standard that is, but the majority of me is focusing on the course.

So this week was about controlling your body.  Next week is about controlling your feelings, followed by controlling your actions in week four.  These are basically the main principles of the Mind, Body, Life model that we keep referring back to.


Theory


The theory half of the session talked a lot about Fight, Flight and Freeze and how we have muscular symptoms of stress/anxiety (such as muscle aches, headaches and shaking) and autonomic symptoms (such as palpitations, sweating and feeling sick).

We also talked about some of the symptoms of depression, which didn't particularly make for brilliant reading when I'd mentally ticked off 11 of the 17...  It was compounded by the fact that the chairs at our meeting place are particularly uncomfortable and so I felt a bit trapped in this cycle of fidgeting and aching whilst reading about the fact that agitation and aches/pains are things to watch for.  The premise of the whole thing was that if you're more conscious of the symptoms, you can apply some of the techniques to try and mitigate some of the effects.

I'll be honest in that I felt like I knew most of the theory already, and some of the exercise from the first week's 'homework' had meant I'd been more explicit with myself about how some of those things were affecting me.  I'm focusing on the positives from each session and so I guess it was good I'm pretty conscious about the effects of anxiety.

Practice


After a quick coffee break, we briefly covered exercise and caffeine.  I'd spotted last week that the good name of coffee may be slightly besmirched and that was kind of the case.  Basically, lots of caffeine can mimic some anxiety symptoms and doesn't help.  Conversely, being more active can have a positive impact on mood and anxiety.

I gave up caffeine entirely about 10 years ago, but as I've had earlier mornings when travelling for work, some has reasonably crept back in over the last few years.  I still mostly drink decaff and I've resolved to only have proper coffee when I'm up before 6am.  I'm also trying to get back into some form of exercise, having basically become a potato since London Marathon in April.  It's one of my short term goals through the course to do 3x20 mins a week at a minimum, and not beat myself up if that's all I manage.

After that we covered some breathing and muscle relaxation exercises.  It can make you feel pretty vulnerable to be doing this in a room with 15 or so strangers, but I committed to it and even after about 90 seconds I could feel something different.  There are audio tracks we can download to aid us, but I'm been using similar things on my phone on and off, so I've resolved to persevere with those for now.

What's next

There weren't a lot of brand new takeaway bits for me this week, but I think that's OK.  Sometimes the time to just focus on some things you already knew can be equally as valuable.  I was surprised at how relaxed I actually felt for just a couple of minutes of breathing/muscle relaxation exercises so I'm definitely committing to more of that over this week.  And I'm on track with my exercise target as well.

Next week is around thoughts, and the sense I get is that it's one of the most valuable weeks of the course.  I'll report back.  Thanks for reading.

Diabetes UK are running a hugely important campaign about improving the provision of and access to a variety of emotional support services. People with diabetes are twice as likely to suffer from burnout or difficulties with their own mental health compared to those without the condition. Some estimates suggest that one in ten people with diabetes are clinically depressed. You can read more about the vital It's Missing campaign by following the link. My story is just my story. If you need to talk to someone about how diabetes is making you feel, you can ring the Diabetes UK Helpline on 0345 123 2399 or you can ring Samaritans 24 hours a day on 116 123

No comments:

Post a Comment