Monday 30 March 2020

Week Two - A New Normal...ish

So that's the end of week two (though you could tell me it's month two and I'm not sure I'd argue with you).

It's been another week of adjustments.  Like many people, I'm now running a school timetable five days a week and it's instantly made me realise how hard being a teacher must really be. 

I think we did a passable job of it this week.  We decided that even trying to replicate a school timetable (or have all the same stuff every day) was impossible.  It's anchored around some of the amazing online stuff that's cropped up (PE with Joe Wicks on YouTube and English Live! with Holly on Facebook) but there's a lot of flex around our diaries so we can 'teach' a bit and put some variety in alongside Maths, English and Reading.

It definitely felt like a long week at work - I was emotionally exhausted by 5pm on Friday.  It's hard to work out how best to pace yourself when working, sleeping and living all really take place in the same four walls, but I'll get there with time.

I've been out for my state-sanctioned walk every day (even fitting in some Plastic Detectives with Violet a couple of times - full back catalogue to be uploaded), and that feeling of fresh air (and even some sunshine) can't be over-estimated right now.  I even managed a 'run' on Sunday - now seems as good a time as any to try and get back into it, however slowly.

What's struck me is how quickly behaviours have changed when you go outside.  On the pavements everyone moves out to the edges, even stepping into the road to keep a safe distance.  Walking down the gennel near our house, people wait at the end or press themselves tightly up to the fence to let someone pass.  We're actively thanking people for keeping away from us which feels like a big behaviour change in a fortnight.

I've kept away from the news pretty well over the last week.  I've stopped watching the daily briefings live and just pick up the main points afterwards.  I've also decided it's no good to think about how this plays out in the long term and really just try and do a day at a time.  Estimates for how long some elements of our current lives could continue vary a lot and I don't see the point in trying to dwell on something so uncertain.  Last year's Stress Control has evidently been good for something!

Finally, it was good to see the nationwide reaction in support of the NHS this week.  I've got friends and family working there, all balancing the same challenges the rest of us are, but alongside the daily work to care for people.

Until next week.... stay safe, wash your hands

No comments:

Post a Comment