Tuesday 10 January 2012

Open and Honest

Training miles completed this week: 11.5
Total training miles completed: 58.5
Training miles left: 187.5
Training runs left: 30

Hi - thanks for stopping by.

Whilst I only write these updates once a week, it feels like they're coming around a lot more frequently.  I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or a good thing.  It's always nice to be able to give an update on how things are going, but with every week that passes, I'm getting closer to the start line without really feeling prepared.

This week I've managed another two runs and I've had the chance to try and start to really plan for doing some bigger distances.  Running on a weekday evening is usually quite straightforward - I can have a snack (current choice being a banana) before I leave work and then I feel sufficiently fuelled up to run in the evening.

It's a bit more inconvenient for a Saturday morning run though.  This past weekend I did 5.5 miles in a very respectable 58 minutes - it felt like a good run at the time and I was very pleased with the pace.  As I'm usually out running by 7am, getting adequately fuelled meant waking up at 4:15am to eat something then having a couple more hours in bed before setting off.  I think that may become a feature over the next few months - particularly with a 12 mile run on the cards at the end of February.  It's not ideal by any means, but needs are...

The 6 miles tonight went well in some respects but not so well in others.  I managed the distance in 65 minutes which is pretty respectable considering everything.  I started to get a bit of pain between mile 3 and 4 but got through it.  It feels uncomfortable now as I'm typing but I'm hoping 3 days of rest will help to reduce any lingering effects.  Keep your fingers crossed...

I've talked previously about various routes I've taken but I think I've finally found one I can use to build up to at least 10 miles without too much trouble.  If you have a look at last week's post you'll see the map I used for 5 miles.  As this is a fairly flat route (for Sheffield at least) I plan on just running slightly further from home each time before turning back.  I used this for the 5.5 miles and the 6 mile run this week as well.

With regards to my injury, I'm definitely feeling a lot more discomfort in between runs now (and during them as you've seen above).  The physio exercises do help but I think I'm coming round to the idea that I'm just going to have to put up with the aches and the pain over the next few months.  I'm already putting in the lower end of the required amount of training and can't really afford to fall further behind.  As long as I can run, I'm going to keep doing so.  It's been nearly 4 years since the injury and the fact that it's still giving me pain makes me feel like it's something that I'm not going to be able to shake off.  Time will tell I think.

Following on from last week's diabetes update, my levels have come back down to sit within the normal range they were in before Christmas.  I've got a blood test next week (I hate needles by the way - not ideal for a diabetic at the best of times, but blood tests really bring out the worst in me), and should have the results when I see the consultant on Feb 1st.  That'll really give the best indication of how well my control has been.  Anything under 10 will be great, whilst I'd love to see a number under 8.

That consultant appointment will give me a good opportunity to discuss whether or not my medication regime needs to change in the build up to the marathon.  I've read a lot of articles about how people adapted their injections to cope with a run, but everyone is different so it'll be good to have that conversation and try and figure out the best approach.

I've not been sleeping too well recently and I think that's for a couple of reasons. Firstly I'm finding it hard to switch off.  My life feels like a never ending stream of numbers and maths problems at the moment - mile times, distances, blood sugar levels etc.  As I mentioned last week, I'm trying to understand the effect that running has on my sugar levels as well so that's something else to add into the mix as well.  Obviously feeling fully fit and rested is key to running - I think I just need to find some good relaxation techniques before bed.

Secondly, I'm scared.  I'm scared that I'll get on to serious distances and I'll break down.  I'm scared all this hard work will be in vain.  I'm scared I won't raise any money.  I'm scared I'll lose control of my diabetes.  I'm scared I'll have a diabetic episode halfway around London.  And I'm scared I'll let people down.  I know I shouldn't be - everyone is so supportive and I can't thank them enough for their kinds words and encouragement.  But fear isn't a rational reaction and I need to conquer it pretty quickly, to rid myself of the distractions.  I'll probably come back to these points in the next week or so.

Finally a more positive word about fundraising.  I had a conversation with @Victoria1867 on Twitter and she suggested putting together a photobook of well known Sheffield landmarks with a bit of a twist on the images to make them unconventional yet still recognisable.  I'm fairly confident I can get some good shots over the next couple of weeks and then it's a case of editing them and getting some printed.  Proceeds will all go to the charities I'm fundraising for so if that sounds like something you'd be interested in buying then do let me know.  And a big thank you to Victoria for taking the time to talk through some fundraising ideas - it's really appreciated.  Don't forget you can visit the fundraising page or find out more about Diabetes UK or The Sheffield Children's Hospital Charity by clicking on the links.

I think I'll leave it there for this week.  The mantra remains pretty much the same - build up the distance, keep doing what I'm doing, and mitigate the pain as best I can.

Thanks for reading - I hope it's not starting to feel like too much of the same each week.  It's starting to get into a critical few weeks for the training so hopefully all the hard work over the last 4 months will start to pay dividends.  Your continued support means a lot.

Take care

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment